It was on a Saturday, 3 June 1939 when MAE WEST was performing in Cincinnati that she was spotted at a popular "Cincy" night-spot.
• • The Indianapolis Recorder wrote: The Cotton Club had a pleasant surprise surprise on May 13, by none other than the best loved actress Miss Mae West, who was playing at the Talk auditorium. Miss West liked the band's music, and gave the Scat man $25 for playing her favorite song, to the others $5.00 apiece. Good luck to the Scat man and his band.
• • On Friday, 8 June 1979 • •
• • The date was 8 June 1979. Vincent Canby, then the film critic of The New York Times, pursed his lips and gave "Sextette" starring Mae West a sound spanking. Another article in the paper was "Mae West, 87, Does an Encore:Trying for 6th Marriage."
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • In "Now I'm a Lady," which delighted the Olympia audience on Saturday night and which will conclude its showing to-night, Mae West has gone modern, and In this picture becomes a socialite with countless admirers among the bluebloods.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: “Other producers tried to bring out plays like mine, but they didn’t know how."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • A Baltimore daily mentioned Mae West and a favorite Italian eatery.
• • Maria D. Velleggia, whose cooking skills helped to transform a small corner tavern into a popular landmark Italian restaurant, died in her sleep on Sunday in her apartment above Velleggia's Restaurant at High and Pratt Streets in Baltimore's Little Italy neighborhood. She was 89 years old. . . .
• • Visiting celebrities also stopped at Velleggia's, including baseball great Joe DiMaggio and actor Danny DeVito. Actress Mae West always brought Mrs. Velleggia a corsage when she dined at the restaurant after appearing in a show at Ford's Theatre. . . .
• • Source: Item in The Baltimore Sun; published on Thursday, 20 June 1996
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 12th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these
past eleven years. The other day we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a
milestone recently when we completed 3,700 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3721st blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • Hollywood party with Francis Lederer in 1934 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West